Friday, May 6, 2011

Guide in the Darkness

As I reflect on why I am making a blog the only thing that come to mind is a story from my Spring Break 2010 trip in Alabama. 

A couple of afternoons were spent at a local church with elementary students tutoring them, and spending time loving them. On the first afternoon I was there a 2nd grader, Chris, spent this time working on math with me. After just a short time helping Chris, he was drawn to me, and would spend the next couple days working with me. At the end of our second day together Chris got asked to help put the school supplies away, and of course he asked me to help him. As we followed his teacher down the hall we came to a set of doors, and behind them was nothing but darkness. Chris stopped, and looked horrified! I stopped and knelt down next to him, and asked him if he was afraid of the dark. He began to tear up and nodded his head, Yes! I reached my hand out to him and said "Take my hand Chris and everything will be fine! I promise!" In that moment his worries were gone. He looked at me stepped forward with full trust that I would take care of him.

I would have never guessed that this would become the image of my life. I am scared looking forward into the darkness. I leave for Israel in a month, and I still need $1000. I have decided that I want to spend my life serving God through ministry, and I don't know what is in store. Its not easy living in the dark, and sometimes it might be easier to stay in the light. But I am here to be a part of the change in the making! All I need to do is reach out and take God's hand and trust Him to be a light in the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment